I have been making pillowcases for 16″ square pillows. I used some of my sons’ old t-shirts, as they are for their beds. I am not totally happy with the result, so I am calling it a prototype. So far, I made two identical pillowcases that are as follow:
Working with small pieces of stretchy fabric is one thing (like I did for my Tea in the Rose Garden mug rugs). Working with big pieces is much less easy. The idea of adding stripes came to my mind after ripping decorative stitches I tried to add to the joining lines. Let me tell you that making decorative stitches with the sewing machine on such fabrics creates a mess. I added a layer of batting before doing so because I thought it would efficiently stabilise the fabric. Not so. And let me add that ripping thoses stitches left an even bigger mess. Translation: lots of holes. In an effort to salvage the two pillowcases, I added the stripes. It worked well in the end because there are no more holes visible and they add a “young and carefree” effect. In any cases, I am happy to report that Raphaël and Gabriel love them and are totally happy with how they look.
That was a happy ending. Ouf!
Other posts about sewing: